Sunday, February 08, 2009

Mid-Winter Ride


I know, it's been a long time since I posted. It's winter and I've had the Bev garaged. Despite having a ravaging ice storm a week ago, we saw temps in the mid-60's today. A buddy in Bella Vista wanted me to swing by so I took the opportunity to take the cover off the 250 and fire it up.

It started right up and I let it run for about ten minutes. I took it slow through the neighborhood, wearing helmet, jacket, and gloves. Completely comfortable. When I got to the highway, a simple twist of the wrist got me up to 55 like it was nothing. That's when a rush of memory reminded me why I ride.

I guess it's a good thing I bought some new chaps yesterday. They're made from real buffalo, so you know it's good. I still have my "armor" pants, but they smell like smoke from the fire, I "aired" them out through a rain spell or two, and when I wear them to work I have to take them off in front of everyone. It's like, "please continue with your business meeting while I remove my pants and shoes in front of you." Granted, I have khaki's on underneath, but it's still awkward.

What better solution than to stroll in wearing black leather, ass-less chaps! They zip right off quickly without having to remove my shoes or "change" in front of folks. I got them at the "Motorcyle Enthusiast" shop in Gateway for an even $100. They don't have knee pads, but they will reduce the wind on my legs, stretching my riding season on both ends. Man, do I miss it.

The sun rise/set is slowly inching it's way to providing light for my work commute. January has NWA's historically coldest temps so we're on the upswing.

No comments:

Post a Comment